Friday, September 16, 2011


Today I begin to document my adventures as I travel through the Utah Costcos promoting my new children's book, What are YOU Thinking?. I have been invited by the regional buyer in Seattle to do book signings Monday through Saturday each day in September, and I am loving every minute of it.

I have met some of the most fantastic people. The message of the book, that children can understand how powerful their thoughts are, and that they can learn to develop positive "thinking habits" in their youth, is striking a chord with many.

I met a nice woman today who told me that when she needs to put a child in time-out, she has them sit down at a designated place in her home, where she has "happy" pictures. Pictures of good memories with their siblings and happy events. She has them look through all the pictures and then tell Mommy what they love and like about the brother they were just fighting with. I think it is a terrific way to deal with an emotional situation. Don't feed the anger...just redirect it. Change the images in the mind, and you change the emotions.

I have been busy with book promotion for almost 6 weeks now, and one Saturday I had a melt down. Nobody was listening to Mom or doing their chores. I thought angrily, "I've been sooo busy, can't you just help a 'bit'???? After everyone scattered like roaches in light after I exploded.... and the dust settled, I was still banging pots and pans in the kitchen sink and my seven year old tapped me on the arm and said, "What are you thinking? It's a choice, and you are choosing to be mad and it makes me sad." My heart changed in an instant and I swooped him up and hugged him and agreed that mom chose to be angry...but she was deciding to be happy now.

I'm excited about this journey! May we all learn to watch our thoughts and our actions, and make the world a better place one baby step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment