Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Miracles and Illustrators

Today I was at the Murray Costco. A young man approached me and asked me how I was able to create my book. He has had an idea for years, and wondered about finding an illustrator. My experience meeting Lori Nawyn is such a good example of the Law of Attraction. I thought it would be valuable to outline how you can use the power of thought to accomplish your dreams and goals.

After I attended my sister Leslie Householder's seminar seven years ago, I had a strong desire to introduce what I had learned to my children. I had a clear idea of what the book would be about, what it would say....yet I became frustrated as I tried to find an illustrator. I tried to draw my own images, but I just didn't have the ability. At the time, my husband and I were recovering from being out of work, and I didn't have any cash to pay the advances required by professional illustrators.

One day I was on a phone call with my sister Leslie. She loved my idea, found it original and fun, and was a big cheerleader for me to accomplish my goal. Leslie reminded me that I needed to put the principles to work. She could hear so much anxiety and discouragement in my voice and dialog. She reminded me of a few key steps to take:

1. Express gratitude. I was to imagine that I had already found my illustrator, and express gratitude to God for the blessing. ex. "I am so grateful that God has helped me find the perfect illustrator!"
2. I was to allow myself to feel all the joy of moving forward with my project as if it had already happened.
3. I needed to hold onto that positive emotion for at least one minute. (I actually spent countless minutes during the day feeling and expressing gratitude for my illustrator that I had found.)
4. I couldn't entertain for a moment any negative energy about not having an illustrator.

I didn't know how it would happen, but I followed Leslie's advice. She agreed to do the same in an effort to help me. I'm discovering that it is such an act of faith to shut out fear, and allow yourself to feel all the positive emotions of an event that has not yet happened.

It was only about a week later, that she received an email from Lori Nawyn. As I recall, Lori introduced herself as an illustrator and expressed that she loved what Leslie was teaching, and if there was anything she could be involved with, she would love to have her artwork associated with what Leslie was doing. Leslie told Lori that she didn't have a need for artwork at the time, but her sister did.

Leslie has a world wide audience, and it was remarkable to me that Lori Nawyn lived only about an hour away from my house. I will always remember how thrilled and amazed I was when Leslie called me and said that she thought she might have found my illustrator.

I went to Lori's website and loved her portfolio. We talked, she loved the project idea, and were able to secure her services with a trade. One of Leslie's Home Study courses was traded for 12 picture book spreads.

The project became bigger than just 12 pictures, and so we arranged that Lori would make royalties as the books sold.

I told the young man that if I had submitted my idea to a publisher, they would have found an illustrator for me. I elected to self-publish, because at the time I viewed my book appealing to a "niche" market, and I knew I could sell my books through Leslie's seminars.

I've been thrilled to discover that it isn't such a "niche" book after all. Who isn't interested in helping their children become successful? Understanding how important it is to control our thoughts is a huge component in that effort. It is a common desire shared by people regardless of color or religion.

Hopefully my remarks today will help this young man pursue his dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment