Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Yesterday I meet the most beautiful ten-year-old girl and her mother at the Lehi Costco. This little girl just radiated goodness and confidence. If I'd ever had a daughter, I'd have wanted one just like her!

They were looking at the book while I talked with other people. When we finally had a chance to visit, the mother told me her daughter was excited about the page in the book where a child has the idea of getting a new bike, and then becomes aware of ideas, opportunities, and resources to achieve it. She told me that her daughter had experienced that very thing! I learned that her daughter had set a goal this past summer to get a new mountain bike.

The little girl told me she worked hard all summer doing jobs she probably wouldn't have considered had she not been motivated by her goal. Towards the end of the summer a neighbor even showed up with an amazing opportunity. He volunteered to go to the bike shop and negotiate with the owners on her behalf. He had purchased MANY mountain bikes over the past few years from this store. The little girl was just beaming as she and her mother relayed how amazing it was to have the neighbor show up and go to bat for them!

Last week a thief broke into their garage. Many valuable items were taken. I asked the little girl if her bike was stolen. She smiled and said, "No! Thank goodness! But the thief had to step right over my bike to get to the car."

The mom told me she grew up with her parents teaching her these principles about thoughts. She used to dive competitively in high school and her father emphasized over and over how reviewing the dive, and how she would enter the water, was a vital part of her training. I was further impressed when the mom told me that last week she had given little journals to each of the ten-year-old girls in her church group. She encouraged the girls to write down five things they were grateful for each day.

I just love it when I meet like minded people who are doing their best to get the most out of life. It is so refreshing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment